The Westerman Jilya Institute for Indigenous Mental Health (the Institute) is a recently incorporated Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisation, registered under the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006.
We are excited to be able to announce a new opening for a Communications Manager within the Westerman Jilya Institute for Indigenous Mental Health.
Applications close on 7th August 2021
Perth, Western Australia or as negotiated with the successful applicant.
- $90,000 per annum full-time equivalent, plus superannuation and salary sacrifice options.
- 4 FTE (15 hours per week), 18-month fixed term, with the possibility of extension dependent on available funding.
- A competitive base salary and attractive salary-sacrifice provisions of $90,000 per annum prorata plus superannuation and salary sacrifice options.
- Flexible work practices, including the ability to work remotely.
- The chance to make a difference and improve outcomes for Indigenous Australians in an exciting and rapidly growing start-up Indigenous Mental Health Organisation.
- The chance to work with a diverse, highly skilled and committed Board of Directors, including Dr Tracy Westerman.
The Westerman Jilya Institute for Indigenous Mental Health Aboriginal Corporation (Jilya) is a not-for-profit organisation that was founded by Dr Tracy Westerman to address the gaps in culturally informed and clinically validated approaches to improve outcomes for Indigenous peoples in Australia across the areas of mental health and suicide prevention, justice, child protection, and education.
Jilya also supports the Dr Tracy Westerman Indigenous Psychology Scholarship Program, currently supporting 15 Aboriginal psychology students across Australia. Having recently become incorporated through the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006, Jilya is now ready to employ our first operational staff to oversee and drive our continued growth.
About the Role
Jilya is looking for an experienced individual, with an understanding of the tasks associated with marketing and communications needed for a small not-for-profit organisation, along with the ability and drive to take the organisation to the next level.
The candidate will oversee all marketing and communications requirements for the Institute, including event planning and management, interfacing with the media and generating publicity, including social media as well as Sponsor and Donor management. They will ensure the Institute’s policies and procedures support strong relationships and partnerships with the philanthropy and tertiary sector, as well as government and community sectors. They will also need to ensure all communications and marketing are culturally secure and meet the needs of the Aboriginal community and the Institute; as an Aboriginal organisation.
To be considered for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following essential criteria:
- Relevant experience in a communications role.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills (interpersonal, written, verbal and non-verbal) and an ability to communicate effectively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island people.
- Good time management and organisational skills.
- Experience and skill in working with a Board of Directors and a demonstrated understanding of the operations of a not-for-profit organisation.
- Relevant tertiary qualification or significant experience.
- Values and attributes that align with the vision and goals of the organisation.
Prior to appointment, the successful candidate will need to meet a range of eligibility requirements outlined fully in the Job Description Form.
Your application should include a detailed resume and a cover letter no more than two pages long summarising your experience against the selection criteria. Further job-related information can be sourced by contacting Emma or Louise on (08) 9362 2036 during business hours.
Closing Date: Applications must be submitted online by no later than 7 August 2021, 5pm AWST
Indigenous applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Download the JDF here: Communications Manager
Please be sure to answer the selection criteria (from the JDF) in your cover letter.